The history of development of Local Government institutions in urban areas of the district covers a period of more than one hundred years. The first step towards the introduction of Local Government in the district was taken in 1867 by constitution of Municipalities at Thanesar, Shahabad, Ladwa and Pehowa. In 1885, Thanesar and Shahabad were reconstituted as Class-II Municipalities. Pehowa Municipality was abolished between 1885 to 1887. In 1908, Ladwa Municipality was converted into a Notified Area Committee.